Guest Post: 54% Of Americans Say They’re Receiving More Text Scams Than Ever Before – Are You Protected?

By Hank Schless, Senior Manager of Security Solutions at Lookout. 

There is only one you – let’s keep it that way! Tomorrow, April 12th is Identity Management Day and Lookout cybersecurity would like to share tips on how consumers can better manage their identity online. 

A recent study from Lookout found that scammers are increasing their complexity, and hacks are looking more real to consumers. Only 8.7% of the 2,000 survey participants correctly identified the legitimate text message, login page, and video when compared to scammers.

Here are some tips to keep you protected: 

Conceal Personal Information
Limit the amount of personal information placed online. Information like location, pet name, last name, and birthday can be used to break into important accounts. 

  • 60% of people share their birthday publicly on social media

Strong Passwords 

  • Use Two-Factor Authentication: This makes it harder for hackers to access your account and will alert you to any potential hacking attempts.  
  • Password Changes: Be sure to regularly change the password to your most important accounts. This will help prevent hackers from getting access. Make sure you use a combination of letters and numbers for the best protection. 
  • AVOID using passwords like these:

Delete WiFi Connections
If you connect to an unknown WiFi network and it starts asking you for any sort of username and password, such as validating your identity with a login, disconnect from it immediately. 

Install Security Software On Your Devices
Security protection, like Lookout, will automatically monitor and identify scam URLs in email, text messages, and on the web and block you from threats that can do harm.

  • Only 31% of Americans pay for identity theft monitoring on their devices, leaving 69% of Americans vulnerable to identity theft.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: