BREAKING: Rogers Rollout Of DOCSIS 3.1 Seems To Be Back On The Rails
I’ve been tracking the rollout by Rogers of DOCSIS 3.1 which when completed will give Rogers the ability to offer faster than Gigabit speeds. It started with them exchanging their customer’s modems. But that quickly hit a snag as the modems had problems when they actually started flipping the switches for DOCIS 3.1 to go live. In fact, I was one of those customers who had problems as I noted:
I am noticing lag when I play online games that was not present before DOCSIS 3.1 was enabled. Clearly Rogers still has issues that it has to get sorted. But according to my sources inside Rogers, I am doing better than some people who have had severe speed drops when Rogers enabled DOCSIS 3.1.
Since writing that story, I did some additional digging and noted this when I logged into the modem/router that Rogers supplied me:
Now let me explain what you are looking at. I want to focus your attention on the downstream overview section which is what’s coming into my condo. More specifically, I want you to focus on the Port ID column. You’ll note that I have ports numbered 1 – 16 and 27-32. That’s a problem as I should have ports numbered 1-32 with none missing. My theory was that this was somehow responsible for my lag issues in whole or in part.
That changed today when Rogers posted this notice to their community forum informing users that they were pushing a firmware update that would address the issues that users of this modem/router were having. As an added bonus, they would also be enabling IPv6 as well. All users had to do is reboot the modem/router and the new firmware would download and install. Then the modem/router would reboot again to complete the installation. So I did a reboot and within a few minutes I got the new firmware. I logged into the modem/router and saw this:
For the first time, I have all 32 ports. Plus the lag issues so far do not appear to be present. I will be monitoring this for the next few days, but this does look promising. I also enabled IPv6 on my router and got an IPv6 address on Rogers network. So that part works as well. I would be interested to find out what results other people who have the CODA-4582 modem/router from Rogers are getting as I’d like to get a sense of how well this fix addresses the issues that have been reported by users. Please leave whatever feedback you can in the comments below.
UPDATE: The Lag that I spoke of is still present. Though it has been reduced. While it seems that Rogers has made significant efforts to make things better for users of Ignite Gigabit Internet, it clearly has work to do.